In her childhood, Martha was the only one who was ever nice to the Grinch as he had a beard despite being only 8. She flirted with him by saying that she loved the color of red and green, then caressed his face with her hand. This surprised The Grinch who decided to make a gift for her in reciprocation for her feelings to which he shared.
The next day, when the grinch presented his gift to Martha, the other classmates laughed and bullied him for shaving in an attempt to impress Martha. Before Martha could defend him from the ridicule he left in a rage and has lived on a mountain ever since and she had not seen him since, despite carrying the same feelings for him for many years.
As years passed by, Martha became a rival with Cindy's mom Betty Lou Who. Both who challenge to win the light decorating contest each year to which Martha wins each year (mostly due to Martha's monetary standing).
Later she is seen telling Cindy what she knew about The Grinch whom shes known since childhood, but also inadvertently confesses to having had a "crush" on him.
At the celebration, Martha is seen unimpressed by The Mayor's behavior. As Grinch arrives, she is seen watching him from the distance and cheering him, but hiding her feelings.
At the moment of Gift Pass On , Augustus takes the oportunity to propose to Martha, she was speechless that Augustus asked her to marry him wich makes her feel uneasy since she's in love with The Grinch. Before she answears the proposal she is interrupted by The Grinch who starts ranting about the comercial and frivolous side of Christmas.
She decides to think about Augustus's proposal until the next day. By Chistmas morning Martha watches how Augustus publicly blames Cindy Lou for what happened, even if the blame was his. When Lou defends Cindy she listens Lou's speech about the true meaning of Christmas and is touched by it and realizes that Christmas is also about spending time with your loved ones.
By the end, Martha decide to call off the engagement and gives Augustus back the ring when the Grinch reforms, which makes The Grinch happy.
- Even though she denies that she have feelings for The Grinch, she still does since childhood.
- Even though she wasn't afraid of The Grinch like Cindy Lou Who, she also care about him too.
- Martha May may have both love rival, but she love The Grinch and doesn't return her feelings to Mayor Augustus after seeing that Augustus was being mean and selfish to The Grinch since childhood.
- Martha May return The Grinch's feeling after saying that Red and Green is her favorite color on Christmas which it surprised The Grinch and decide to give her a gift until the next day he was making fun of when he shave himself, lost his temper and run away which it hurt Martha May when she feel bad for him since childhood.
- In delete scene, Martha May won the light concert which it is because of The Mayor have some feelings for her and don't want her to lose. The other one when the mayor ask her out on a date which she kindly refuse.
- When the Mayor proposed to her, she was stunned and was afraid, because she still love The Grinch and she knows that The Grinch still love her too. At the end, she call off the engagement and tell everybody include The Mayor that she's in love and love The Grinch which that makes The Grinch very happy.
- Martha May is the only Who who's very beautiful in Whoville and have 2 love interest who's trying to win her heart which it was The Grinch who won her heart.
- Martha May is similar to Belle from Disney's Beauty and the Beast like both are beautiful though Belle has brown hair and Martha has blonde hair, both have 2 love interests (Belle to The Beast and Gaston, Martha May to The Grinch and Mayor Augustus), both are in love with the main characters (Belle to The Beast, Martha May to The Grinch), both care for the main characters and love them who they are, and both end up with the main characters after they confess their feelings for them.
- Martha May is similar to Jennifer Friedman from Eight Crazy Night like both have brown hair, both are the love interest of the main protagonist (Jennifer to Dave, Martha May to The Grinch), both are the main protagonist's childhood friends, both are adult and move on, both are kind and both end up with the main protagonist after they redeemed themselves.
- Martha May is almost similar to Lucy Wilde from Despicable Me 2 like both are the love interest of the main protagonist (Lucy to Gru, Martha May to The Grinch), both denies their feeling for the main protagonist until they realize that they still love them, both at first was serious and hard working woman until they also have a kindness and fun loving side and both end up with the main protagonist at the end.