Martha May Whovier is a major character in the live-action adaptation of Dr Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
In her childhood, Martha was the only one who was ever nice to the Grinch as he had a beard despite being only 8. She flirted with him by saying that she loved the color of red and green, then caressed his face with her hand.
This surprised The Grinch who decided to make a gift for her in reciprocation for her feelings to which he shared. So, he made a homemade Christmas angel made from a bicycle horn, silverware and other oddities. Then, remembering how Augustus May Who teased him for his beard, he shaved himself. Unfortunately, The Grinch's grooming was grotesque, so he wore a brown paper bag on his head before going to school.
The next day, when The Grinch presented his gift to Martha, the other classmates laughed and bullied him for shaving in an attempt to impress Martha.
Before Martha could defend him from the ridicule he left in a rage and has lived on a mountain ever since and she had not seen him since, despite carrying the same feelings for him for many years.
As years passed by, Martha became a beautiful and stylish woman as an adult. Martha became a rival with Cindy's mom Betty Lou Who. Both who challenge to win the light decorating contest each year to which Martha wins each year (mostly due to Martha's monetary standing).
Later she is seen telling Cindy what she knew about The Grinch whom she’s known since childhood, but also inadvertently confesses to having had a "crush" on him.
At the celebration, Martha is seen unimpressed by The Mayor's behavior. As Grinch arrives, she is seen watching him from the distance and cheering him, but hiding her true feelings.
At the moment of Gift Pass On, Augustus takes the opportunity to propose to Martha, she was speechless that Augustus asked her to marry him which makes her feel complexed since she's in love with The Grinch. Before she answers the proposal she is interrupted by The Grinch who starts ranting about the commercialist and frivolous side of Christmas.
She decides to think about Augustus's proposal until the next day. That night, while she and all of Whoville slept, The Grinch snuck into her bedroom and stole the engagement ring from May Who. By Christmas morning Martha watches how Augustus publicly blames Cindy Lou for what happened, even if the blame was his fault.
When Lou defends Cindy she listens Lou's speech about the true meaning of Christmas and is touched by it and realizes that Christmas is also about spending time with your loved ones.
By the end, Martha decide to break off the engagement and gives Augustus back his engagement ring when the Grinch reforms and chooses to be with him instead of Augustus which makes The Grinch happy.
Later, she was last seen during the song "Welcome Christmas" and at The Grinch's home where he's cutting the roast beast and they both flirting for a while. It‘s shown that they're in relationship after they smile at each other before the movie was over.
Martha has long blonde hair, which was previously straight hair with two pigtails but became curly as an adult, and similar facial features a other whos. She is shown to wear a black and white blouse and skirt, with white gloves in her childhood. Later on, she is shown to have matured into a arousing woman, with a hour glass figure of busty chest, and alluring behind. She wears a Santa Claus designed suit, with her front ends revealing her cleavage and a very short skirt line, which barely covers her waist line. She is later seen in a tight red dress, exposing her figure, and wears a mistletoe pin in her hair. She is later seen in her nightgown, that is white and light blue, with large sleeves and cloak.
- Even though she denies that she have feelings for The Grinch, she still does since childhood. Making her not afraid of The Grinch like Cindy Lou Who, due to caring about him too.
- Martha May return The Grinch's feeling after saying that Red and Green is her favorite color on Christmas which it surprised The Grinch and decide to give her a gift until the next day he was making fun of when he shave himself, lost his temper and run away which it hurt Martha May when she feel bad for him since childhood.
- In delete scene, Martha May won the light concert which it is because of The Mayor having strong feelings for her and doesn't want her to lose. The other one is when the mayor asks her out on a date, which she kindly refuse.
- When the Mayor proposed to her, she was stunned, because she still loves The Grinch and she knows that The Grinch loves her too. At the end, she call off the engagement and tell everybody include The Mayor that she's in love and the only man that can please her is The Grinch.
- Martha May is the only Who who's had 2 love interest who's trying to win her heart due to her tempting looks and appeal.
- Martha May is similar to Belle from Disney's Beauty and the Beast like both are beautiful,they both have brown hair, both have 2 love interests (Belle to The Beast and Gaston, Martha May to The Grinch and Mayor Augustus), both are in love with the main characters (Belle to The Beast, Martha May to The Grinch), both care for the main characters and love them who they are, and both end up with the main characters after they confess their feelings for them.
- Martha May is similar to Jennifer Friedman from Eight Crazy Night like both have brown hair, both are the love interest of the main protagonist (Jennifer to Dave, Martha May to The Grinch), both are the main protagonist's childhood friends, both are adult and move on, both are kind and both end up with the main protagonist after they redeemed themselves.
- Martha was the first girlfriend of The Grinch, in any formerly published media, and the love interest in this movie.
- It's unknown why she was in love with The Grinch, but she did give us a hint that she had a secret crush on him and she didn't like The Mayor since he has a mean, bad attitude to The Grinch and Cindy Lou Who. She falls in love with him, because the Grinch is so misunderstanding and sweet.